Order discounts are discounts applied to order subtotals. This tutorial will show you how to create various types of order discounts.
Since the customer needs to enter a coupon code to receive a discount the first main step is to create a coupon followed by the creation of discounts.
Create a coupon
1. For that click on the Shop tab.
2. Click on the Discounts / Coupons the on the Coupons menu items.
3. Click on the Add Coupon button.
4. Provide a Name for this coupon.
5. A coupon code is automatically generated but a custom code can be added. This is the code that needs to be used by the customers during the checkout process.
6. Write a description.
7. Various rules can be applied to the coupon.
9. For example we can create a coupon that's available only to the United States customers by selecting the ordercountry option from the subcondition dropdown, clicking on the Add link and then selecting the country from the dropdown list.
10. We can select the Can be combined option if we want to allow the customers to combine this coupon with other coupons during the checkout.
11. We can also set a minimum number of items that need to be added to the cart for the customers to be able to use the coupon.
12. To set a limit on the number of times this coupon can be used we can enter a value in the "Max uses" text field. To set no limits we can leave the text field bank.
13. To set a limit on the number of time this coupon can be used based on customer's credit card we can set a value in the Max uses per card text field.
14. Set values in the Active date text fields to activate this coupon at a specific date and time.
15. Set values in the Expiration date text fields to deactivate the coupon a specific date and time.
16. From the list, select on which sites this coupon can be used.
Create an Order Discount
17. Now that we have a coupon code created let's create an order discount. Click on the Add another Order Discount button.
18. Provide a Short description. This will be the description shown to the customer at the checkout.
19. Set the discount value.
20. Select the discount type from the dropdown list.
Percentage will provide a percentage off the order subtotal.
The Fixed Price option will provide a discount equal to the value set in the Discount text field. For example if the order subtotal is $100 and the value in the Discount text field is 10 then the final order subtotal value will become $90.
The Absolute option sets the order subtotal to the value entered in the Discount text field. For example if the order subtotal is $100 and the value entered in the Discount text field is set to $10 then the order subtotal value will become $10.
21. Set the priority for this discount. Discounts with higher priority will process first.
22. Checkmark if no other discounts should be applied after this one.
23. Various rules can be applied to the discount.
24. For example if customers should benefit from this discount only if the order value is greater than $10 then select the ordervalue option from the dropdown, select greater or equal for the subcondition then enter the value 10.